Friday, August 16, 2019

Hi friends,
This post will contain more pictures and fewer words than the last one.  I keep thinking of clever subtexts that I can use to make individual posts interesting, but I'm a mathematician, not a writer, so I'll just post some of the dozens of pictures I've taken and maybe tell you a little bit about some of them.

I will just say that the more we explore our neighborhood (Croix-Rousse) and our city (Lyon), the more we love it.


The two pictures above show a Poulet roti vendor in the small market just around the corner from our apartment, which I have shown first because I just finished eating one of his fabulous chickens.  They are roasted on spits and the juices drip down and cook wonderful small potatoes.  

The second picture is of the Place Croix Rousse, just a few steps from the market I just described.  The market is there every day but Monday, apparently all year long.  I'll show you a picture of some of the vegetables and fruits at the market.  Note that this is the "small" market.  A few steps from my second picture across Boulevard Croix Rousse is the "large" market.  It runs for about one kilometer down the boulevard and also is active every day but Monday.  The produce at both markets is absolutely fabulous.  

We are trying to explore our neighborhood/city little by little - Lorraine keeps reminding me that we are going to be here for a year so we don't have to do everything in the first few weeks - but I am anxious to see it all NOW.  

We decided to walk down the hill and across the Saone River to the Vieux Lyon (the old town).  It is only a little less than a mile away, but there is a lot of elevation change.  The Croix Rousse is on a very significant hill between the Saone and the Rhone rivers. The walk down wasn't hard and was interesting.  I'll show you some of the way.  We took the Montee de la Grande Cote down the hill to almost the level of the river.  It is a very steep set of small steps going straight down the fall line (steepest part) of the hill toward the river.  I am not yet an expert but I think it was built so that the Canuts (silk weavers) could roll there barrels of silk down the hill to the port on the Saone River. If I find that that is fake news I'll correct it later.

Later I'll show you pictures from Vieux Lyon.  

Until next time, A bientot.

No comments:

Post a Comment